Monday, October 20, 2008

Sweet!

I have learned a lot about bees and honey this year. I went to visit a beekeeper, and I also went to a honey festival - that was fun! I have had severe hay-fever type allergies since I was a teenager. I did NOT know until this year that eating honey can help me! However, regular store-bought honey has been strained and processed and is therefore not as beneficial.

If I purchase raw, pure honey that was made by bees locally in my area, in that honey are trace amounts of the very allergens from my environment that make my body overreact and start sneezing. So it works just like the allergy shots I used to get for years, which gave me trace amounts of allergens. That exposure from the honey helps my body learn not have an allergy-type reaction. And, I am becoming less and less dependent on my allergy medication, which is also better for me!

Look into purchasing raw local honey. In the Canal Winchester area, you'll find The Beeman on Route 674 just south of town, who sells the good stuff. For those of you in other places, try to track down some beekeepers or health food stores in your area that sell it. If you have young children, it would be best to ask a health professional's advice on what age it's safe to give them the honey.

You can enjoy a daily (yummy!) serving of honey AND enjoy the allergy immunotherapy benefits as well. Now that's sweet!

No comments: